Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.

can i use emetrol for my dog , pepto doesnt seem to be working

No Comment Added
Category: Dog
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question Dixie.

In direct answer to your question : While emetrol is licensed for use in the person and not the canine it has been and can be used in the dog. It contains Dextrose/Fructose/Phosphoric Acid as the solution, none of these ingredients are unlikely to harm your dog. It is used to treating nausea and vomiting.

One to two teaspoons twice a day would be a reasonable dose for a beagle.

If the condition does not resolve you should seek veterinary advice.

If I can advise you further please get back in touch.

Scott Nimmo BVMS
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Reply to Scott Nimmo BVMS's Post: is there anything else you may recommend - she is 13 years old and very over weight she weighs about 75 pd and has for years. she is peeing and drinking - should I give her anything else
Hello again,

I guess she is vomiting or has vomiting / diarrhoea and that is what you are most concerned about ...

Provided she is otherwise bright, alert, and happy you might want to try and treat the condition with diet alone. Many of my clients have tried the following :

A. Starve her today but make sure she has access to water.

B. Tomorrow feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

Also : Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She has vomited several times and doesn't seem to want food I have tried the chicken but it wasn't home boiled chicken it was canned would that make a difference also she just doesn't seem to want food she looks at it and that's all
Hello again,

It would not make much difference if it was home boiled chicken or canned chicken ...

It is always difficult to advise over the internet, vomiting is common in the dog and most cases can be resolved with simple drugs or via dietary control. Some cases of vomiting can be more serious though, because of this I always have to tell you to consult a vet if you are getting concerned.

Regards,

Scott