Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My beagle has been licking and chewing on her paws for a ...

My beagle has been licking and chewing on her paws for a couple weeks. When I look between her pad, the skin is red and the fur there is darker than the other paws. I''ve put neosporin, doggie anti-itch spray, a steroid cream that is mine, which I''ve used succesfully on her occasionally itchy ears. She does seem to have allergies, but all the dog foods I''ve tried haven''t helped and I don''t believe the benadryl our vet prescribed does much either. Do you think the paws are allergy related? Could it be that she irritated it when she was digging in the yard? Thanks for any insite. Karen
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
Hi Bellasmama,

It may be that your dog is having an allergic reaction. An allergic reaction is often the cause when a dog is excessively licking and/or chewing their paws. Thyroid problems can also cause paw problems as well. It’s possible your dog has developed a secondary staph or yeast problem. If yeast you can try some miconazole cream (available at your pharmacy) to see if it helps but it isn’t a cure for underlying condition.

You can try baby socks to prevent your dog from licking them. You can also give your dog some Benadryl. The dosage is up to 2 mg per pound every 8-12 hours. Start with 1 mg per pound first and see if it doesn’t help the situation and provide your dog with some relief.

Here is a site on dog allergies

I don't think it is related to digging in the yard, and likely to be related to the allergy condition. If this proves to be hard to clear up, you might want to go ahead and have allergy testing done and allergy shots developed as it ends up being cheaper in the long run than constantly treating the symptoms.

Hope this helps.