Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

dog sick from potting soil

Customer Question

My 4yr old 32 lb. Welsh corgi has been secretly nibbling on some Miracle-Gro potting soil for about a week. Took him to a vet last Wed. and he was diagnosed with heart artythmia, ekg, echo all normal also blood work. Just came up with the Miracle -Gro hypothesis tonight? Is this stuff poisonous to dogs?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
Hi MikeL,
There are hundreds of varieties of garden fertilizers on the market. While most of them are not harmful to our pets, some contain iron, insecticides, or other compounds that can be quite dangerous. As for Miracle Gro...on their website they claim that it is very safe for your pets and kids to play on the lawn after the miracle gro fertilizer has been watered into the ground. They do not however, mention whether or not it is safe if the dog eats it directly. There is also a spot where they tell you to contact your physician immediately if your child were to ingest some of the product directly.
Because of the vast array of compounds that are contained in Miracle Gro, I think this is a question that is best answered by a specialist in veterinary toxicology. You can reach one at the following number:

1-800-213-6680.
This is the Pet Poison Helpline.

They also have a website at:
www.petpoisonhelpline.com

There is a charge for this service, but I think that it is money well spent, since the toxicologist will be able to tell you without a doubt if your dog is in any danger, and whether or not this substance may be the cause of the arrhythmia.

I hope that this information is of help to you, and that your pet is okay. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K