Vetsurg, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  Veterinarian for 17 years, board certified Veterinary Surgeon since 2002

My dogs testicles are swollen and enlarged and i don't ...

My dogs testicles are swollen and enlarged and i don't know what is wrong with him

A few questions before I suggest some home treatment:
Did he get hit or kicked by accident?
Does he lie in an area where ants or spiders may have bitten him?
Has he been licking/chewing at that area more than usual?
Does he seem painful?
Is he eating/drinking? Any vomiting or diarrhea?
Is he able to urinate and defecate for you?
Any coughing or sneezing?
Is he on any medications?

You will need to check the scrotal area very carefully for any signs of a bite. A scrotal hernia can cause acute swelling in addition to trauma. With scrotal hernias, these are potential emergencies if there is entrapment of any intestine. Most of the time when a scrotal hernia develops it is just abdominal fat that herniates, but not always. If he seems painful, he will need to be seen by a veterinarian right away. If nothing else, he should be looked at tomorrow at the very latest.

If it looks like an insect bite reaction, you can try cleaning the area and giving him some benadryl. He should still be seen to make sure more in depth treatment is not needed. You can also try a cool compress 3-4 times daily for 5-10 minutes per session for the first 24 hours followed by a warm compress after 24 hours. If it is a hernia, however, he will need surgery to repair it and likely need to be neutered.

There are infectious causes of orchitis (infection of the testicles) as well as skin infections of the scrotum. Some of the testicular infections can be pretty severe so he will need to be examined by your vet if this is the case.

I hope your dog gets better real soon!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes he has been licking the area and also has acted like he has been in pain. He is eating and drinking. He is an outside dog so he might have possibly been hit by a car or bit by something. We do live in the desert. He is not on any medications at the moment
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He is also holding his back leg up and not putting pressure on it
OK, it sounds like there may have possibly been some trauma. Any indication of a snake or scorpion bite that you can see?
If he is holding his leg up, it could be due to a leg injury or pain form the testicle. I think you might consider having him seen by a vet today. Is there an emergency clinic in your area? If not he should be seen ASAP since the possibility of trauma exists and he is obviously in pain.
Has he been checked for Valley Fever (if you live in a desert area where this exists)?

Good luck with this, I hope he gets well quickly!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok thank you for your help
Your welcome, I hope he feels better quickly