Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario
7995545

I accidentially hit my dog in the eye (around the area) ...

I accidentially hit my dog in the eye (around the area) with a rolled-up newspaper. I had the newspaper in my hand and was swinging it when she came running past me from behind. I felt that the newspaper hit her but didn''t know where or how hard since I wasn''t actually swinging it at her. When I went to see what was hurt she was blinking her eyes rapidly and keepig the right eye mostly shut. After about 2-3 minutes she began to open her eye again and doesn''t seem to be in any pain or discomfort. I looked into the eye and it isn''t bleeding and I can''t see anything physically wrong. However her right eye isn''t dialating nearly as big as her left at the moment, it is easy to tell since she is a Siberian Husky with blue eyes. This is only about 5 minutes after impact and she is acting herself trying to coax her miniature dachshund sister out from under the bed. I plan to keep a close eye on her but I was just wondering if this is normal when an eye has been irratated.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.

Hi thereCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer! I would like to help you and your Husky with this question, but need just a bit more information in order to better assist you both.

I understand that the pupil on the right is not dilating as big as the left pupil.

Is she opening the right eye fully now? Or is she holding it partly closed?

If you lift the eyelids above the eyes, do you see any bruising on either one?

Fiona

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr.Fiona's Post: She is opening and blinking her right eye normally now. However, the right pupil is still smaller than the left, it is dlating but the left pupil is bigger. I lifted her eyelids, the left eye is white while above the right it seems to be bloodshot (I'm not sure if that's bruising or not).

Tricia
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.

Thanks Tricia!

I am going to go work on your answer and will be back in a moment...

Will your Husky let you hold a cold compress on her eye while I am gone? You could wrap some frozen peas or corn with a light tea-towel and then hold it on the closed eye.

Back soon...

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.

Hi again Tricia,

What you are describing with one pupil being smaller than the other in your Husky is something called uveitis. This is something that happens with trauma and is an inflammatory response of the eye. With uveitis that is untreated for any length of time, it can lead to a permanently small pupil which will limit the dog's vision. I will come back to it, but her is more about it:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/anterior-uveitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

The main concern with your Husky having been hit in the eye with a swinging newspaper is whether this may have caused a scratch or cut on the surface of the eye. The top surface of the eye is called the cornea and a scratch on it is called a corneal ulcer. Generally, when a dog has a corneal injury, she won't open her eye fully, and instead holds is partially closed. There can be a lot of swelling and redness. In this situation the dog needs to see a vet promptly (today or tomorrow at the latest).

Corneal ulcers are serious and need prompt treatment. Also, they are very painful. Just think how uncomfortable your eye is with an eyelash in it, and then imagine what it would be like with a cut on it! Dogs are very stoic and tend to hide the pain they feel with this kind of injury.

When I have an animal come into the clinic with a history of eye trauma, I do a full ophthalmologic exam. I might put local anesthetic in the eye to make it painfree so I could examine it more closely. After an initial look, I would stain the eye with fluorescein dye which sticks to any parts of the eye that are damaged. This dye glows under a black light. Thus, you can easily see where the damage is.

If there was indeed a corneal ulcer, I would start the animal on antibiotic drops or ointment. If there was a lot of inflammation (uveitis) causing the pupil to stay small, then I would also start an ointment to dilate the pupil. I might also suggest the patient wore a cone on her head until the eye is healed so she could do no further damage by rubbing (definitely she will think this is adding insult to injury!). I would have my patient come back in a week to check that things had healed up properly.

I will include a link with more information:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=554

Given how serious this may be, I would encourage you to take your Husky to see your vet today before they close or tomorrow morning if no vet is available in your time zone now.

If you absolutely cannot get to a vet tonight, you could get over the counter BNP ointment (ask the pharmacist for a triple antibiotic ophthalmic ointment if you can't see it. Here's a link: http://www.1800petmeds.com/B.N.P+Triple+Antibiotic+Opth-prod10291-10208.html ) and start it in her eye for tonight. Use 1/4' strip in the affected eye 4 times daily.

Again, I feel it would be best to take your Husky to see her vet as the eyes are so delicate and can get infected easily if damaged. If you feel the cold compress has helped and you want to wait until morning, that may be ok as long as she is improving. If she is not 100% tomorrow morning, though, you really should see your vet!

Good luck with your girl!

If this has been helpful, please hit the "Accept" button and leave feedback. If you need more information, just click on reply and I will still be here to provide it.

Fiona

Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario