Donna P.
Donna P., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Veterinary Technician with 15 years experience. Boston Terrier Breeder

my dog has one eye with goopy stuff in it and she

my dog has one eye with goopy stuff in it and she seems to be shedding a lot
Category: Dog
Expert:  Donna P. replied 8 years ago.

Discharge from the eye can be indicative of several things - infections, irrirations, injuries, or dry eye are the most common. I would recommend rinsing the eye out well with an eye wash solution. You can use any product made for humans - just eye wash - not something medicated like visine. I would then keep the eye well lubricated to keep more comfortable with artificial tears ointment. If this does not help within a day or so, I would bring to the vet as the dog may have an infection that needs antibiotics. If the dog is squinting, pawing at the face, or otherwise seeming painful with the eye - I would bring in right away to the vet. I would also discuss with the vet the possiblity of dry eye. The schirmer tear test is very simple to do and can rule out this condition.

As far as the shedding goes - this doesn't have to indicate any sort of a problem. Sometimes they shed more one year than another and it doesn't mean anything in particular. It can possibly be a thyroid issue or nutritional deficiences. Both of the foods you mention are good foods so I doubt nutrition is a problem. Heartworms can also cause a dry coat that sheds a lot - so if she hasn't been tested I would recommend this. If she actually develops any balding spots I would pursue medical causes.

I hope that this was helpful.

Donna P.

____________If this was helpful, please click ACCEPT____________

Thank you.