Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

what would cause a dog to lose control of her bowel and ...

what would cause a dog to lose control of her bowel and bladder and also not walk on her hind legs
Thanks for the question.

If she suddenly cannot move back legs and has no control of her bowel and bladder then this is likely to be a spinal lesion of some kind.

The possibilities are :

1. This could be due to trauma to the spine say following a road traffic accident.

2. It could be a slipped disk type lesion, these can happen spontaneously, pressure the spinal cord and would often produce the symptoms you describe.

3. I have seen cancer of the spinal cord produce these symptoms but this is very rare.

Your vet would normally carry out an X-ray to diagnose the precise condition but MRI is increasingly being used. Sometimes it is difficult to visualise the cause of such diseases by standard x-ray alone.

My advice has to be to get your vet to continue diagnostic tests and also consider referral to a veterinary neurologist.

If I can advise you further please get back in touch.

Scott Nimmo BVMS
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
her eyes roll back in her head and she acts like shes having a seizure. could it be cancer of the spine?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i'm still waiting for an answer to the question as to what would cause her eyes to roll back in her head and for her to act like shes having a seizure?
Sorry about the delay in answering you.

If she is acting like she is having a seizure and her eyes are rolling back in her head then this would indicate some for of central nervous system { brain } involvement.

This could be because there is a cancer some where but there would be other explanations as well. Usually slipped disk type lesions come on very quickly, often just in a minute or so while lesions involving cancer would be very much more gradual.

Please come back to me and let me know how your dog is today ...

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
she is getting worse. i'm thinking its just a matter of time before she passes away. do you think it would just be the humane thing to do to put her to sleep?