Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

what do i do if dog ingested water based paint

she got into some paint but i didnt see her actually consume any
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 8 years ago.

Because you're not positive if she actually ingested any of the paint, I'd suggest adopting a 'wait and see' mentality. Personally, I assume that if she had eaten some of the paint, you'd find evidence of it in the fur around her mouth, but there may not be any if she's particularly sneaky.

For tonight, I'd just keep an eye on her. If she starts vomiting or has diarrhea. If she becomes lethargic, goes off feed, becomes disoriented or has trouble breathing, then I would absolutely encourage you to get her into a vet as soon as possible.

I hope this puts your mind to rest a little.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to CVT_in_MN's Post: she did have some paint on fur around her mouth not alot but some altho she was only alone for a couple seconds. i looked into her mouth as she would allow and didnt see any sign of blue paind. she is so tiny and i am worried
Expert:  Lisa replied 8 years ago.

Hi again~

If you're concerned that she did, in fact, actually ingest some of the paint, then I suggest you either call your vet or find an emergency clinic near you to sort things out whether she did or didn't eat it.

I can understand you being nervous. Those little dogs absolutely seem to bring out the maternal instinct in even the most non-emotional of us, and sometimes that trip to the vet does more for us by giving us peace of mind than it does for the dogs.