Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health

My dalmation has a bulge on her left side behind

My dalmation has a bulge on her left side behind her leg in the ribcage area. She doesn''t show any signs of pain or other odd behavior.

Has she had any bones, rawhides or other non food items lately?

Any change in stools?

Is the area tender if you touch it or hot?

Any of the following symptoms?

• Whining
  • Inability to get comfortable
  • Pacing or restlessness
  • Pale gums
  • Unproductive attempts to vomit
  • Abnormally rapid breathing
  • Increased heart rate
  • Anxiety
  • Pain, weakness
  • Swelling of the abdomen (particularly the left side)
  • Customer: replied 8 years ago.
    Yes, she had a rawhide bone yesterday. The bulge doesn't seem to be tender to touch it and she is not whinning or showing signs of discomfort. It was over 100 degrees here yesterday so she is panting a lot due to the heat but that is not unusual. She stays in the garage with a fan most of the day but the door is open and she can go in and out at will. I haven't noticed any change of stool but haven't looked in yard either. Shoud I?

I am very concerned, your dog is experiencing symptoms of bloat or a blockage from the rawhide. Rawhides are never a good treat for the dog as they can cause a blockage in the digestive track which is very painful for your dog.

Bloat is a stomach condition of dogs that is potentially fatal. Bloat refers to the stomach becoming very dilated with food, water and air. The most serious form of bloat occurs when the stomach also twists on its long axis after it is dilated. This is an emergency situation for the dog. If not treated early on, especially when the stomach twists, the dog can die in a matter of hours.

If your dog shows signs typical of bloat, you should seek emergency veterinary assistance the swelling on the left side is one of the most common early symptoms of bloat. As mentioned previously, waiting until the morning may be too long. A blockage is also very dangerous as well so to be on the safe side I would recommend having him see by a emergency vet today.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
    Thank you. We have a vet clinic open 24/7 so I will see if we can get in. I appreciate your input.
    Your welcome and I wish you the best, XXXXX XXXXX need anything please let me know.