Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

my 5 year old 30 lb. dog ate a whole avocado skin pit and ...

my 5 year old 30 lb. dog ate a whole avocado skin pit and all three hours ago seems fine but very worried. I have read they are toxic then i read people dogs have ate for years and been fine. Called the emergency vet clinic here vet said shouldn't hurt her but still very worried would like second opinion

The emergency vet was right. According to the 2005 edition of Veterinary Technician magazine (article found here: ). Ingestion of avocado is known to cause gastric upset (most commonly vomiting and diarrhea) and should be treated symptomatically.

What this really means is that as long as your dog is feeling and acting okay, you only need to monitor her and make sure she stays feeling fine. I'd actually be a little more worried about her getting obstructed from eating the pit than I would be about her being toxic from eating it.

Just keep your eyes open for excessive diarrhea/vomiting. If your dog goes off feed, becomes lethargic or begins retching without anything productive coming of it, then I'd take her in to see the e-vet.

I hope this makes you feel a little better!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the article states possible heart problems. do you think those would be showing by now or something will also have to watch for, what would be the signs of that be also I tried to accept your answer but they have expired credit card info I have emailed to get straighten out    thank you very much for your answers

Hi again Bearpie~

I don't think you have to worry about 'possible' heart problems with your dog. From the articles I've read and the research I've done, your pup would have either had to have eaten a lot more avocado or would have had to chronically eaten it.