Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

Will oxygen absorber packets hurt a dog

One of my four dogs found and ate an oxygen absorber packet from a package of jerky, will it hurt them? 3 of them are Chihuaha''s under 7 pounds, and the other is a 110 lb Rottweiler. If so, should I be trying to get them to throw it up?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

Are you speaking about the silica gel Pack?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I guess so, it doesn't say what's in it. It says do not eat, oxygen absorber.
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

That is a silica gel pack. It is used to kep moisture out of the Jerky. They are not toxic. it should pass with no problems. They have to put a disclaimer on the package so children do not eat it and choke on it. It has to be food safe since it is put in with Jerky as well as other food sources. The only think I would be concerned with is a blockage with the little Chihuahuas. I would give each a teaspoon full of canned pumkin to help things pass more easily. Watch for vomiting, diarrhea, constipation and abdominal distress which can be signs of a blockage in the intestines. The pumpkin should help prevent that problem. Joan