Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.

my dog is vomiting saliva and light colored brown liquid ...

my dog is vomiting saliva and light colored brown liquid which has a strong odor. I have not seen him eating anything weird. Besides water so that he wont dehydrate is there something I could give him until my vet opens? He is a 13 pound shitzu. He also had diahrreah last night. Is it possible that i could give him like peptobismol or malox?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 8 years ago.

Although pepto bismol is safe for dogs, The publisehd dose for Pepto is 1 - 3 mg/kg DIVIDED over the course of the day. Using the middle of the range, this is the equivalent of about 1 ml/lb, but this should be divded over the course of the day, One teaspoon = 5 ml; 1 table spoon = 15 ml, I would not give him any over the counter medications until you see the vet. Your vet may want to treat him with a prescription medication that could interact incorrectly with the pepto. Do continue with water, in small amounts. If you have or can get plain pedialyte, you can also mix that into his water to replace lost electrolytes and help maintain hydraton. These symptoms can be from a variety of issues from parasites to an obstruction of the GI tract from ingesting a non food item. YOu can try offering him a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice to see if he can hold that down. Good luck to you and your boy and hope he feels better soon. :)