Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Experience:  35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.

Are marshmellows harmful to dogs. We were roasting ...

Are marshmellows harmful to dogs. We were roasting marshmellows Friday night and my daughter gave our dog ( 1 1/2 yr old beagle mix) a couple of marshmellows. A few hours later he started shivering, threw up, and had diarrhea. These symptoms have continued on and off. Could there be any connection or perhaps he is just coming down with something. In addition, he has not any appetite and is very lethargic. He also had blood in his stool today.

Were the marshmallows sweetened with artificial sweetener, rather than sugar or corn syrup? If so, what kind?

Thank you for the additional information.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
They were sweetened with corn syrup and sugar. This is what the ingredients say: corn syrup. sugar, dextrose, modified corn starch, water, gelatin, tetrasodium pyrophosphate (whipping aid), artificial flavor, and artificial color (blue1). Is that bad?
Thank you. It's not exactly nutritious, but there's nothing in there that should cause the symptoms you're seeing. The sugar/corn syrup might cause a loose stool once or twice, but that would be the most you would expect. The tetrasodium pyrophosphate is slightly toxic (to humans, too), but the amount in a couple of marshmallows shouldn't be enough to cause all these symptoms. An exception would be if your dog is especially sensitive or allergic to one of the ingredients. With shivering, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and appetite loss, something is definitely wrong, but those can be signs of many different things. I recommend that you take your dog to a vet to find out what's going on and get treatment started. If you have more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your dog will be fine.

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Thank you.)