Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health

small dog passing blood in stool

our normally happy and healthy 2-year old chihuahua is passing blood today. she was sick yesterday - and threw up a lot last night - and today is passing blood in her stool.   actually, to be more clear, there is really NO solid matter at all... she''s passing just blood (steady fairly bright red stream of blood). her diet hasn''t changed, though we did start a new box of her normal dog treats yesterday (though, I think she was sick even before the new box of treats was opened). she is drinking a fair amount of water but is very lethargic.   we don''t really have money right now (for a trip to the vet) and I''m wondering if there is something that we can do for her to make her feel more comfortable - while this hopefully passes.   we''re really not sure what to do... do you have any advice for us?   Thank you so much.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

Blood in the stool is typically one of two things a parasite infection or a blockage of some type it is often referred to as Colitis. Though there are other causes such as IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome) and other more serious problems such as Cancer.

It is always advisable when you notice blood in your dogs stool to seek veterinary treatment. Without treatment she could die depending on what this is. I understand costs are high, but try calling around for a payment plan. I wll also include a list one of our experts put together for assistance with vet bills.

I would recommend starting her on a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice to help settle her stomach down.(1 part skinless chicken Breast to 3 parts white rice). If she refuses to eat you will want to mash it up and apply small amounts along the jaw line to force feed her.

You can give her unflavored pedilayte to replace the electrolytes she is losing so she does not become dehydrated.

You may have to copy and paste the address:

American Animal Hospital Association

Angels 4 Animals

Care Credit

God's Creatures Ministry

The Pet Fund

United Animal Nations

This list is for local and national help resources: