Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog ate insulation. What can I do

No Comment Added
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
Hi Macie,

This can be very dangerous to your dog. If you think your dog really ingested it, you should take your dog to the Vet. Many types of insulation are like spun glass.   These shards can be imbedded in your dog's throat, stomach and gastrointestinal tract. This could cause internal bleeding. If you elect to wait, then if your dog starts vomiting or having diarrhea, I'd take her in immediately.   Keep an eye on her gums and if they become pale, that would signal possible internal bleeding and she would need to be seen.

I'd go ahead and give her a spoonful or two of canned pumpkin (not pie filling) on some food. Hopefully, if there has been some ingested, the pumpkin will pick it up and allow it to pass through her system. I would call my Vet as well to let him know just in case you end up having to take her in.

It does worry me that she is wheezing as perhaps she inhaled some of the insulation as well. I hope this information is helpful to you.