Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 30+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

My dogs face is all swollen and her eye is puffy.

My dog''s face is all swollen and her eye is puffy. She accidently got outside and i think she may have gotten into something.   I gave her warm bath and washed her off. What signs should I watch for?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

JRT's seem to have a problem with allergies. My boy gets very bad during the summer. Allergens can be airborne, inhaled or ingested. If you think this may be an allergy related incident we can try treating accordingly. You will need to give 1-2 mgs per pound of plain Benedryl every 8 hours. This should reduce the swelling and offer some relief. I would use some cool compresses on her eyes and face to help with the swelling. If this is an allergic reaction, you will need to make sure her tongue does get swollen and she doesn't have a problem with her breathing and watch for a rash. Please follow up with your Vet in the am. Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She is scratching at her nose and her mouth is a pink red color. I dont have liquid benedryl. I just have the pills.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

The pills are fine! Each pill is 25 mgs., you can give 1-2 mgs per pound of body weight every 8 hours. If your girl is 25 pounds, 1 pill would be fine. This does sound like an allergic reation. The Benedryl will make her sleepy. Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok. She is really scratcing but I did give her the pill. She doesnt seem to be panting but she whining a little. When will the bendryl kick in and the swelling go down?
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

You should start seeing some releif in about 20 mins. This may not bring all the swelling down at one time, but should stop the itching rather quickly. it may take more than one dose to stop the swelling. She may even need a steroid shot. My boy's face gets so swollen with allergies he looks like a Sharpei dog. Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Jav917's Post: She seems to want affection. She is such a mama's dog! =) She is drinking water so I know her throat is not swollen. The pills are non drowsy for humans but will they still make her drowsy? She has two 3-4 weeks old puppies and is nursing them. Will this have an affect on them?
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

Did you give Plain Benedryl? The non drowsy may have additives, that we should not give the dog. Please list the ingredients that are in the Benedryl. The plain is the only type we can give. Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Oh I am sorry they are plain-not drowsy. They are the CVS generic version of Benedryl but same ingrediants as Benedryl
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

Thank-you for confirming that. That should do the trick! I get worried, because I always tell people Plain Benedryl, because there are so many human medications that can be toxic to our beloved pets. Tylenol, Motrin, Aleve and Advil are all toxic to dogs. Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She is nursing 2 puppies will they be ok or make them drowsy? I assume it would be the same affect as a human. I do have puppy formula if needed.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

I would nurse the puppies to be on the safe side. I would also follow up with the Vet in the AM. I do not like to give anything to a nursing mother without Authorization from the Vet. In this instance she was having a bad allergic reaction and needed first aid. Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok. I will watch her closely to make sure there are no other reactions. She doesnt seem to be sleepy but very relaxed. So I assume its kicking in. Should we nurse them just for 24 hrs? When will the benedryl be out of her system? Sorry for all the questions. She has never had this problem before.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

I would at least nurse them for 24 hours and consult with the Vet in the AM about how long you need to nurse the puppies before allowing them to nurse off her again. I want to be sure there will be no problems with the puppies. I am sure the Benedryl will give her some relief from the allergic reaction. Joan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok thank you for your help! I really appreciate it.
Expert:  Joan replied 6 years ago.

I hope she feels better soon! I know what my boy goes through when he gets stung by a bee, or gets into the weeds. Joan

Joan, Vet Tech
Experience: Vet Tech for over 30+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues