Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my dog has a lump close to her back hip and i know i need ...

my dog has a lump close to her back hip and i know i need to get her checked out, but insurances wont cover her because of that.. where could i go that is not exspensive. i love my dog to death but dont have alot of money
Hi veggaschick,

If this is a small lump that came up at an area where she received an injection, it might be a normal reaction to a vaccination. These types of lumps normally resolve themselves over a few months. If they don't, they do need to be looked at.

A lump or growth is hard to diagnose even with an office visit, over the internet it is even harder as we can not even see the growth. A lump may indicate cancer, but many such growths are harmless. Many lumps are not painful or bothersome. It may be a fatty tissue deposit called Lipomas or a wart or a hematoma, but to be positive your vet will need to test the lump to be sure.

Any lump found on your animal should be tested to determine if it is a cancerous or benign lump. Your vet will want to perform a fine-needle aspiration or other appropriate test. It is performed quickly and allows some of the cells of the lump to be evaluated by the veterinary pathologist. This test will allow the vet to determine the nature of the lump and take the necessary steps to remove it. Some vets will leave it alone if it is not serious. If it is an abscess, he may just drain it and prescribe antibiotics. Lumps that are solid feeling, feel attached and fast growing should be checked as soon as possible as these are the ones that are more likely to be serious.

Here are a few sites for additional information and pictures to allow you to get an idea based on the physical characteristics..
Picture of Lipoma
Picture of Hemangiosarcoma
Picture of a mast cell tumor (mast tumor site)

There are organizations that might help with vet care costs. I have included a list here:
Help-A-Pet This group helps low income families with vet care.

IMOM   This organization help people with emergency medical care in some cases.

Care Credit Quick application and approval for care credit card. You can sometimes apply and get approval while you are at the vet office.

American Animal Hospital Association
Helps animals that have been abandoned or if the owner is having financial hardships

Angels 4 Animals
This organization offers financial aid or treatment to those pets and owners in need.

God's Creatures Ministry
Help pay Vet bills for those that need help

The Pet Fund
Helps provide emergency vet care to those in need.

United Animal Nations
They help rescuers, low income and homeless pay for vet care.

Some large chain type pet stores do have some lower cost vet care available as well. Rural area vets tend to be less expensive than vets in a metro type area, so this might be an option as well, though with gas prices, you might not save much if you have to travel to get to a more rural area.

I hope you find this information helpful.