Donna P.
Donna P., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Veterinary Technician with 15 years experience. Boston Terrier Breeder

Red Gums, the dog is one year old and we just noticed ...

Red Gums, the dog is one year old and we just noticed red gums. She eats dog food with a mixture of dry food and hum,an food.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Donna P. replied 8 years ago.

Hello cjmcds1,

If the dogs gums are totally red - especially if showing signs of stress or illness - it could be a serious condition like heatstroke or ingestion of a toxin. I would recommend getting to the vet quickly and cooling your dog with cool water or water soaked towels if body temp is elevated about 104 degrees.

If you are just referring to redness around the margin of the teeth and gumline - it could probably be just normal progression of gingivitis in dogs. I would recommend beginning a regimine of brushing your dog's teeth with a toothpaste made for pets regularly to get this under control before it is a problem. One year old may seem so young but you have to remember that dogs age and mature so much faster than us. A one year old dog is like a teenager to us. If we didn't brush our teeth until we were in our teens we'd have some dental disease as well. If the redness seem severe around the margin of the teeth it is possible there is an infection going on and antibiotics may be necessary. There are even very rare conditions where a dog's immune system can react severely to any plaque or tartar on the teeth and cause sever inflammation. If you are seeing a lot of inflammation, I would take to the vet.

I hope this was helpful,

Donna P.

_________________If this was helpful please click ACCEPT_____________________

Thank you.

If you would like more information, just reply to your question.