Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs

My dog drank some salt sea water yesterday and has been ...

My dog drank some salt sea water yesterday and has been vomiting ever since. she can''t even hold down water, as soon as she drinks it she vomits it back up.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 8 years ago.

Dear friend,

I am so sorry your girl is not feeling well. Salt water can be toxic in large amounts.

Right now she has a very irritated GI tract.Lets give her some ice to lick but no water to drink and throw up for the next two hours. If she keeps that down make cubes of baby food (no onion powder) in an ice cube tray and let her lick those.

We have to replace her electrolytes so first Put a drop of pancake syrup on her tongue to raise her blood sugar in case she is a bit hypoglycemic. That should perk her up.

She can have pepto bismal,pepid a/c , kayopectate or any OTC at scroll down for products and dosages.

Get a bottle of unflavored pedialyte in the baby dept. Give her one tsp every half hour for two hours.Then try a small amount of boiled chicken with all fat drained off, chop meat , or baby food with no onion, beef, turkey, etc

If she continues to vomit she needs to be seen for an anti-emesis shot by a vet.

If she develops any abdominal pain, bloating, constipation or cannot keep anything down she needs to be seen by a vet.

Please let me know how she is doing. I will always be here for you

I hope your baby feels better very soon..

Best wishes,