Walter
Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health
997364

Our dog hurt his leg somehow. He holds the leg ...

Our dog hurt his leg somehow. He holds the leg up--won't put any weight on it, yet it doesn't hurt when we touch and manipulate the leg.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Walter replied 6 years ago.

Was there any recent injury's?

Check the paw over to make sure there are not cuts, scrapes, bruises or anything lodged in the paw is there anything there?

Walter

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The night before his injury showed up, he got into a closet during a storm and did a lot of kicking against the door of the closet. I thought it was the sound of hail. It was pouring down rain at the time, but the sound he made was loud. My husband had gone to bed along with the dog. I told him he shouldn't have let the dog kick like that. His injury wasn't apparent until the next day, however. The dog jumped up on his two back legs when someone came to the door, and my husband says that's when the injury showed up.
I can move the dogs hip joint back and forth, and there seems to be no pain--also the knee joint. His paws seem to be OK. He is using the injured foot a litle bit now.
Lena Bair
Expert:  Walter replied 6 years ago.

I am concerned with this injury. Fractures are very common and are easily mistaken for strains. Where a strain or a torn muscle will gradually improve and fracture will cause continued pain and discomfort. He may still be able to place weight on a fracture and allow you to touch it with little pain, so this is a very real possibility. I would advise you to have it looked at.

It is hard to distinguish a fracture or dislocated hip from a strain without examination so it is always advised to have any leg or hip injury's examined.

Discontinue exercises until it has been examined. I would recommend keeping him off the leg as much as possible for at least a week depending on the injury. Keep in mind fractures that are left untreated can cause problems later on with arthritis.

You can also speak with your vet about getting him a pain reliever or about picking up some pain relievers from your local pet store to alleviate his discomfort.

Walter

Walter, Breeder
Experience: Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health