Pets_Doc
Pets_Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Chief of Staff, Senior ER Clinician
10983809

I recently purchased a Pekingese/Dachshund dog. what can ...

I recently purchased a Pekingese/Dachshund dog. what can you tell me about it. Please answer soon. I am nervous.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pets_Doc replied 6 years ago.

Are you looking for information about the two different breeds? Or are you seeking more specialized information on your new pet?

Dr. Gordon

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Pets_Doc's Post: The dog I purchased is a combination Pekingese/dachshund. What can you tell me about it?
Expert:  Pets_Doc replied 6 years ago.
The best I can offer you is specifics about the two separate breeds...your new pet may exhibit some signs of both breeds. I have not seen a Peke/Doxie yet in my practice....I'll post some breed information in a few minutes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Pets_Doc replied 6 years ago.

Pekehund

Pekingese / Dachshund Hybrid

The Pekehund is not a purebred dog. It is a cross between the Pekingese and the Dachshund. The best way to determine the temperament of a mixed breed is to look up all breeds in the cross and know you can get any combination of any of the characteristics found in either breed. This hybrid cross is recognized by the American Canine Hybrid Club. Not all of these designer hybrid dogs being bred are 50% purebred to 50% purebred. It is very common for breeders to breed multi-generation crosses.

There are three varieties of Dachshund: the short-haired, the wired-haired, and the long-haired. With each of these varieties there are three sizes. (See Height and Weight.) The Dachshund is an elongated, vigorous, muscular dog with short legs. It carries itself proudly and has an intelligent expression. It has an elongated head and a slight convex skull, arched and protruding eyebrows, a long muzzle, robust jaws with non-pendent lips, and a pincers or scissors bite with extremely strong canine teeth (Dachshunds usually have 42 teeth). Its eyes are oval, dark red or brown-black with an energetic and friendly expression. Its ears are mobile and hanging long on its cheeks. Its body should have a strong protruding sternum and a moderately retracted abdomen. Its tail is carried in line with its back. The short-haired Dachshund's coat should be shiny, sleek and uniform. Solid-colored Dachshunds may be tan or yellow. Bi-color Dachshunds may be deep black, brown, or gray with areas of bright chestnut. There are also piebald, speckle-streaked, or harlequin varieties.

Temperament

Lively and affectionate; proud and bold, almost rash. Tenacious. Can be willful and clownish. Curious and mischievous, they are very clever and may attempt to train the owner rather than allow the opposite. Devoted to his family, some fanciers feel the long-haired variety is calmer than the other two types. The wire-haired variety is more outgoing and clown-like. All are slightly difficult to train. Dachshunds are good dogs to travel with. They are best with older, considerate children and are moderately protective. These little dogs like to bark (their barks are surprisingly loud for their size) and are compulsive diggers. They are generally okay with other pets, however, they can be jealous, irritable, obstinate and very quick to bite. Sometimes they will refuse to be handled. They should not be over fed, for this breed tends to gain weight quickly.

Height, Weight

There are three varieties of Dachshund, the short-haired, the wired-haired, and the long-haired. With each of these varieties there are three sizes.
Normal (standard): Height 14-18 inches (35-45cm.); Weight- 20 pounds (9kg.)
Miniature (dwarf): Height up to 14 inches (35cm.); Weight 9 pounds (4kg.)
Toy: Height Up to 12 inches (30cm.); Weight 8 pounds (3.5kg.)
Note: The Toy Dachshund is not a recognized size variation, however there are some breeders breeding Dachshunds smaller than a Mini Dachshund and they are calling these dogs "Toys".

Health Problems

Prone to spinal disc problems (Dachshund paralysis) and can develop heart disease, urinary tract problems, and diabetes. Dachshunds have a tendency to become overweight and lazy. This is a serious health risk, putting added strain on the back.

Living Conditions

Good for apartment living. They are fairly active indoors and will do okay without a yard.
ExerciseThese are active dogs with surprising stamina; they need to be walked daily. They will also enjoy sessions of play in the park or other safe open areas. Be careful, however, when pedestrians are about because Dachshunds are more likely to be stepped on than more visible dogs. They should be discouraged from jumping, as they are prone to spinal damage.

Life Expectancy

About 12-15 years.

Grooming

Long-haired require daily combing and brushings; wire-haired need professional trimming twice a year, and smooth-haired require regular rubdown with a damp cloth. This breed is an average shedder.
OriginThe Dachshund (pronounced dak sund) originated in Germany many hundreds of years ago. "Dachs" is the word for badger. The Dachshund was bred to hunt and follow these animals to earth, gradually becoming highly evolved, with shortened legs to dig the prey out and go down inside the burrows. Smaller Dachshunds where bred to hunt hare and stoat. Dachshunds have many "terrier" characteristics. They are versatile and courageous dogs and have been known to take on foxes and otters, besides badgers.

Description

The Pekingese has an extravagant, long, straight-flowing coat that has profuse feathering and comes in all colors. It has a broad head that is wide between their large, dark, lucid and slightly prominent eyes. The face is flat with a dark, wrinkled muzzle, and drooping heart-shaped, long feathering ears. Their necks are short and thick. When their mouth is closed, neither teeth nor tongue should show. These tiny, heavy boned dogs have a characteristic rolling gait.

Temperament

Pekingese are very brave little dogs, courageous to the point of foolhardiness! They are sensitive, independent and extremely affectionate with their master, but are wary of strangers. They are obstinate, self-willed and may be difficult to feed and are sometimes known to refuse to eat as much to show dominance over its owner as to lack of appetite. If overfed, Pekingese will quickly become overweight. They are loving to the point of jealousy. They tend to bark a lot and make good watchdogs. Not recommended for young children who are too rough. This breed may be difficult to housebreak.

Height, Weight

Height: 6-9 inches (30.4-45cm.), Weight: 8-10 pounds (3.6-4.5kg.)
Any Pekingese under 6 pounds is called a sleeve Pekingese. It is the smallest member of the Pekingese family, and the most popular size during the breeds development in China. To be a sleeve it must be 6 pounds (2.7 kg) or under, anything over that is not a considered a sleeve. In-between 6 and 8 (2.7-3.6 kg.) pounds is considered a Mini Pekingese.

Health Problems

Pekingese tend to catch colds very easily. Very difficult births. Prone to herniated disks and dislocated kneecaps. Trichaiasis (lashes growing inwards toward the eyeballs). Breathing problems and heart problems are also common.

Living Conditions

The Pekingese are good for apartment life. They are relatively inactive indoors and will do okay without a yard.

Exercise

Pekingese need a daily walk. Play will take care of a lot of their exercise needs, however, as with all breeds, play will not fulfill their primal instinct to walk. Dogs who do not get to go on daily walks are more likely to display behavior problems. They will also enjoy a good romp in a safe open area off lead, such as a large fenced in yard. Get your Pek accustomed to the leash when they are still a puppy. Some owners have told me their Pek will walk up to 4 miles on a nightly walk.

Life Expectancy

With healthy dogs, about 10-15 years.

Grooming

Daily combing and brushing of the very long, double coat is essential. Take extra care around the hindquarters, which can become solid and matted. Females shed the undercoat when in season. Dry shampoo regularly. Clean the face and eyes daily and check the hairy feet for burrs and objects that stick there. These dogs are average shedders.

Origin

Pekingese where regarded as manifestation of the legendary Foo Dog that drove away spirits. They were venerated as semi-divine by the Chinese. Commoners had to bow to them; you were punished by death if you stole one, and when an emperor died, his Pekingese were sacrificed so that they could go with him to give protection in the afterlife. In 1860 the Pekingese reached the West. British and French troops over ran the Summer Palace during the Second Opium War. Imperial Guards were ordered to kill the little dogs to prevent them from falling into the hands of the "foreign devils," but five Pekingese survived and were taken to Queen Victoria, who named it appropriately, "Looty." It is from these canine spoils of war that the modern Pekingese is descended. In 1893 the breed was first shown in Britain. It was recognized in the US in 1909.

Dr. Gordon

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i WILL TRY AND SEND YOU A PICTURE AS SOON AS I GET SOMEONE TO SEND IT...I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE PROCESS.
WILL GET BACK TO YOU IN APPROX. 2 WEEKS. TIME TO GET SOMEONE TO SEND THE PHOTO.
Expert:  Pets_Doc replied 6 years ago.

Advertise Here

Read Owner Testimonials

Pekehund - Precious in Peoria
I can not say enough wonderful things about this hybrid. I had 2 litters. My last little girl, Precious, is 12 1/2 yrs. old now. She is the last of her litter mates left. My female long-haired dachsund had 7 pups total. They all went to excellent families and I have kept in touch with all of them. Anyone who got to know these beautiful babies wanted one! Unfortunately I lost the father, my Peke, when he was only 4 yrs. old from an accident. That was 10 yrs. ago. The mommy, my long-haired dachsund was 12 when she passed. I miss them terribly!

Anyone who has gotten to know a Pekehund has experienced a joyful experience. From their beautiful eyes, their easy to manage coats and their loving personalities they are wonderful family pets. They get along well with all ages of family members, never meet anyone that they don't like, unless, of course, you don't like them! They are loyal, easily trained and absolutely precious!

One note: due to the nature of the dachsund, as they were bred for hunting small burrowing animals, they may not enjoy, or tolerate any animal other than a dog!
Posted: 2/5/2008 6:27:18 AM - Submitted By: Precious
Pets_Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Chief of Staff, Senior ER Clinician