NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

I believe my pomeranian had a stroke. He is very active ...

I believe my pomeranian had a stroke. He is very active and just collapsed without any previous symptoms. I thought it was a heart attack. He was still breathing, but not moving. I took him to the emergency animal hospital (it was the 4th of July) and after 5 hours they could not find anything wrong with him. They ran lots of bloodwork and an EKG. Ruling out heart or blood sugar problems. Since his collapse he cannot walk without falling down and is still eating and drinking. It seems to be more of his back legs not being able to stand well but he does sway and wants to sit or lie down all the time. He will jump up and try to run around from time to time and it definately seems to be motor skills that are not working. He is alert and to this day has never had any vomiting or diarrhea. So we ruled out poisoning or liver problems. He has had no injuries whatsoever. I need to help him evacuate, he urinates, eats, drinks, but no stools. Can you suggest an enema or suppository?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
You can read about vascular incidents in the brain here
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/vascular_accident_in_the_brain.html
I would be suspicious with the problem defecating that this might be a spinal injury which is keeping him from controling the rectal sphincter valve. You can read about spinal problems here
http://www.vetontheweb.co.uk/pet-clinic-detail.asp?id=204
You may find a warm soapy enema will help him empty out the rectum. You can scroll down on this page to read about how to give an enema
http://www.doghealthhelp.com/puppy_dog_health_dog_eye_health.htm
But I'd advise having the vet show you how to do this before trying it on your own.
Human over the counter suppositories and enemas are not safe to use without direct vet information on what your dog can handle.
Do check to make sure no stool is matted in his fur blocking the anal opening. If there is some there try washing it away with warm water as that may solve the problem.
You might also try walking him on a harness so you can help support him. With some extra support from you he may be able to get in the right position to go.
Hope this helps you!