Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets

My dog has an abnormal skin growth on her belly that ...

Customer Question

My dog has an abnormal skin growth on her belly that is growing and has parts that are unhealed. It does not appear to be infected and is not painful to her. Any idea what it is?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 6 years ago.

Hi there and thanks for your question. This will be difficult to answer without being able to see the lump, but I can give you a few of my ideas.

A good number of growths on dogs are benign and nothing to worry about. However, you have mentioned a few things that have me concerned. I don't like the fact that it is growing and that it has "parts that are unhealed." There is a possibility that this is a cancerous growth. Surprisingly, cancerous growths aren't always painful. Most benign growths will be smooth and small and regular in appearance. When we see ulcerations and irregularities then this is generally not a good sign.

Ideally it would be best to have your vet do a fine needle aspirate of the growth or even better a biopsy of it. The vet should be able to tell you if this is cancerous and if it needs to be removed.

Is your girl spayed? If not, or if she was spayed after she had gone through a heat cycle then she is at much higher risk for getting mammary cancer.

So sorry for the bad news.

I hope she does ok!

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions regarding this problem, just hit reply. If I am online I will respond right away. Otherwise I will respond as soon as I come online again. Or, if my answer is sufficient, then please hit accept. Thanks!

Dr. Marie.

Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience: Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your response. I have made an appointment with our vet to have the growth excised. Blood work should tell us if we are dealing with cancer. Your answer prompted me out of my denial and into action; thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 6 years ago.

You're very welcome. Good for you to get this dealt with! I wish the best for you and your dog!

Dr. Marie.