Dr. Marcia
Dr. Marcia, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a Companion Animal Veterinarian with 15 years of medical and surgical experience
10807259

my dog is 8 mo old and has jelly like stool with blood in ...

my dog is 8 mo old and has jelly like stool with blood in it what could this be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Marcia replied 8 years ago.

Whoops, I had just submitted an answer that was meant to be an "info request."

I would love to help with your puppy.

A few questions for you.

How long have you seen this type of stool?

Is the dog feeling fine otherwise (eating, drinking, no vomiting, etc.?)

Thanks--

Dr. Marcia

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Marcia's Post: she has not been eating or drinking today, shes alittle mushy nose warm no womiting but it was a blob of bright red blood
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
its also just been today

Okay, thanks for the additional infomation.

When we see stool that is "jelly-like" and with fresh blood, this usually indicated inflammation in the colon or lower part of the intestines. The colon produces mucus normally and when irritated can easily bleed. If inflamed, the tissue of the colon will produce LOTS of mucus, which leads to jelly looking poop, and fresh blood is also often involved and of course can be quite alarming to see!

Colitis, or inflammation of the colon, is quite common, and can be related to stress, parasites, eating something unusual, a sudden diet change, etc. Less commonly, it could also indicate more serious issues, such as some type of infection, cancer, or toxin exposure. If you are confident your dog has not had access to toxins lately (such as rat bait in particular) I would not be terribly concerned about that.

When the gut is "off," it is common that a dog may not want to eat or drink for a short while. This is not necessarily bad, as they are giving their gut a chance to rest. But if they won't drink for more than one day, they need to be examined as they may need fluids so they don't get dehydrated.

In some cases, dogs get better on their own after fasting for 1-2 days. You can fast your dog at home (no food, water only) and then start boiled hamburger and rice in small quantities after that time. This is easy on their system. Again, if they are not willing to drink or they start to vomit frequently, or the bloody stool worsens while fasting, they do need to get in to the vet.

If they are drinking and/or eating and seem perky but the bloody/mucus stool continues, at least a stool sample needs to be evaluated for parasites and proper therapy may be prescribed. I treat many colitis dogs with a prescription medication called metronidazole, which usually corrects the problem.

Any other questions? I hope this has been helpful for you, and that your dog feels better.

Dr. Marcia

Hi again!

Another Dog Expert, Dr. Fiona, was kind enough to point out the breed of your dog, which I did not pay close enough attention to! If your dog is really little, (maltese/yorkie?) fasting for 1-2 days is not necessarily the best course of action as a very small dog can get hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) if they do not eat regularly enough. So I would keep any fast from food really short, and it actually sounds as if she has been doing this herself. If she will not eat on her own soon (by the end of today) please plan on getting her in to the vet as hypoglycemia could also be a concern.

I hope this makes sense, and let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX