Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts ASAP
Thank you for your question regarding your dogs and their ingestion of charcoal briquettes. It is unlikely that these are overly toxic to dogs, however match-light or quick starting charcoal is saturated withy petroleum distillates and is most definitely TOXIC. As I don't know the full chemical composition of these particular briquettes I would definitely like all four of your dogs to be made to vomit if these were ingested within the last 3 - 4 hours. If this happened within the last 3 - 4 hours we can safely make all four dogs vomit these chewed briquettes back up again (since gastric emptying takes at least 3 hours).There are several ways of doing this, however taking the dogs to your emergency Vet for some Apo-morphine is the best way. If you are not able to take your dogs to your local Vet or emergency Vet then, the next best bets are either ipecac syrup or 3% hydrogen peroxide. See below for details of use:
You can also obtain some liquid paraffin oil from your local drug store and give a couple of teaspoons of this on all four dog's food to help any remaining chewed briquettes out the other end.
Best of luck with your dogs and I hope this has been of help - please do keep me posted as to how you get on.
Thank you and please now click ACCEPT.
Dr M D Edwards