Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

ARE CHARCOAL BRIQUETTES TOXIC TO DOGS AND WHAT SHOULD I ...

ARE CHARCOAL BRIQUETTES TOXIC TO DOGS AND WHAT SHOULD I GIVE THEM SINCE THEY CHEWED AND INGESTED THEM? (4 DOGS-70LB 1YO GOLDEN RET., 2-16LB SCOTTIES 6MO , 15LB 1YO RAT TERRIER)

Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your dogs and their ingestion of charcoal briquettes. It is unlikely that these are overly toxic to dogs, however match-light or quick starting charcoal is saturated withy petroleum distillates and is most definitely TOXIC. As I don't know the full chemical composition of these particular briquettes I would definitely like all four of your dogs to be made to vomit if these were ingested within the last 3 - 4 hours. If this happened within the last 3 - 4 hours we can safely make all four dogs vomit these chewed briquettes back up again (since gastric emptying takes at least 3 hours).There are several ways of doing this, however taking the dogs to your emergency Vet for some Apo-morphine is the best way. If you are not able to take your dogs to your local Vet or emergency Vet then, the next best bets are either ipecac syrup or 3% hydrogen peroxide. See below for details of use:

• Hydrogen peroxide 3%: 5-10 ml via the mouth, may be repeated once. Make sure the hydrogen peroxide is active i.e. it should bubble and fizz. Feeding a few pieces of bread may improve vomiting efficiency and give bulk to push out the agent.
  • Ipecac syrup: 2.2 ml/kg via the mouth once. Dilute with equal parts water, administer by mouth.

You can also obtain some liquid paraffin oil from your local drug store and give a couple of teaspoons of this on all four dog's food to help any remaining chewed briquettes out the other end.

Best of luck with your dogs and I hope this has been of help - please do keep me posted as to how you get on.

Thank you and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards