Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Engorged nipple on male dog

I have noticed one of my male dog''s nipples being slightly larger than the others. In the last day, however, this nipple has grown considerably larger and is red...indicating to me that perhaps it is engorged with blood. It does not appear to be infected and there is no redness on the skin surrounding the nipple. This is a 3 old bloodhound in good health, other than that we have been fighting a fungal infection for several months.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

First thing to say is that male dogs almost never get breast cancer or cancers involving the nipple so we can rule that one straight out. Also at three years of age cancer is unlikely.

What else could it be :

1. It could be due to trauma, the redness and increase in size could be because there is a haematoma { blood filled bruise } If this is the case it will spontaneously reduce back to its normal size over the next few weeks.

2. It could be an infection of some kind but in that case you would normally see a small wound or bite. If the nipple keeps on getting red and becoming enlarged it might be an idea to try a course of antibiotics just in case.

3. It could be an allergic reaction perhaps due to an insect bite. Again if this is the case it would go down on its own over the period of a week or so.

4. I think the fungal infection is unlikely to cause the symtoms you have seen on the nipple.

I have just sat down for five minutes and gone through my literature and I can find no reference to specific diseases of the nipple involving male dogs. For that reason I think what you are dealing with here is just a curiosity and unlikely to be serious.

However I have to give you the usual advice that if it gets out of hand you should consult your vet.

If I can advise you further please get back in touch.

Scott Nimmo BVMS