Dr Harrison
Dr Harrison, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for over 20 years

How can I get my dog to sleep later in the morning. She ...

How can I get my dog to sleep later in the morning. She wakes me up anywhere from 4:00 to 5:00 in the morning and it is affecting my health. She whines outside my bedroom door. I tried ignoring her or giving her the command to go lay down and it doesn''t help. I get up, let her out, feed her, let her out again. I cannot fall back to sleep. She goes right back to sleep.This has been going on for over a year. She is a very anxious dog. Is there a sleep aid I can give her at 11:00 pm that will keep her asleep until at least 7:00 am? Like I said, it is affecting my health and the overall well being of my family.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Harrison replied 8 years ago.

Important Information…the advice I am providing is solely based on the information you are giving me. To accurately diagnose and treat a patient, a veterinary doctor-patient relationship is required. Before I can tell you what is wrong, I must see you pet and perform an examination. Over the internet, your description may be misleading and you may not see what a trained veterinarian would see. Therefore, the advice I give you is not to be taken as 100% accurate. I can tell you how I have treated cases in the past with similar symptoms and you must make a decision whether you want to follow my advice or not. This service is not a substitute for visiting your vet. With that in mind, let us start…

The first thing you need to do it stop taking her out at 4 AM. To do this will require getting her used to a crate. At her age if she has not been crate trained, this in itself will be difficult, but necessary. i don't believe in drugging a dog for this problem. She needs to accept the crate as her little den. You should be getting her used to it as you would house train a puppy. The idea is to create an environment where she eats and sleeps and will not want to eliminate in the same space. The crate must be adjustable whereby you can adjust the size allowing her to lay down comfortably, but not so large that she can eat and sleep on one end and eliminate on the other end. If she is house broken and doesn't have accidents in the house, you are ahead of the game. Locate the crate someplace where it will not disturb you in the morning. Beagles are very vocal. I would suggest investing in a citronella collar to stop the barking. They are very effective. If you think about it, your health is too important and I think this solution will help you.
Get her on a schedule. Feed her in the cage at regular intervals (2 to 3 times daily) and take her out after feeding and at the time when YOU wake up.

Here is a link that may help explain in more detail. I must caution you that I have not reviewed this link and unless it is written by a veterinarian, the information can't be held to be medically accurate. But just to give you information that might help here it is:

How to choose a crate

Why crates are normal for dogs

Thunderstorms and noise phobias

I don't endorse any one place to buy the Citronella Collars. Just Goggle it and you'll see a good selection. Here are three:

If you find my answer helpful, please click "Accept". Bonuses are always appreciated. It was a pleasure responding to your question and follow ups are welcome.