Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Lab pees herself when she sleeps. She has taken ...

Lab pees herself when she sleeps. She has taken Diethyistibestrol twice now. Today I noticed that the pee is dripping as she is walking and laying down. I''ll call her vet tomorrow for appointment. Any Idea what''s causing this to happen? She is a female spayed lab and is three years old. Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
Hi Joyce,

It sounds like she is starting to experience incontinence probably related to spaying or a urinary tract infection. The bladder sphincter may not be functioning as well as it used to. This happens frequently after a dog is spayed and in older dogs as well. You can read more on it at this site as well as treatment options.
One drug frequently prescribed is phenylpropanolamine which you can read about here:

DES (diethylstilbestrol) is another treatment. If one doesn't work, the other should be tried as they work in different ways.   It may take more than just 2 doses to see improvement. You can read about it here:

To be on the safe side, you will want to have your girl checked over to be sure there isn't a urinary tract infection causing the situation. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2-3 symptoms.

Until you can get in to see your vet again, you can use an appropriate sized baby diaper with a whole cut for the tail to help with any dribbling that may occur.

I hope this information is helpful to you.