Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Why is my dog always hungry. He doesnt have worms. So what now

No Comment Added
Hi Jakesmum,

Why do you think your dog is hungry all the time?
What food are you feeding?
How much and how often are you feeding your dog?
How much does your dog weigh approximately?
Is your dog showing an increase in appetite, thirst or urination?

I'm getting ready to call it a day, but wanted to give you a few ideas.

It may be that the food you are feeding requires more than you are used to feeding to give him the same nutrition as when he was on puppy food. Different foods requre different amounts to supply the same nutrition.

There are not too many things that cause a drastic increase in appetite but diabetes does. Common symptoms are increased thirst, urinating more, weight loss, increased appetite, dehydration, and sudden cataract formation. He may not have all these symptoms if you are catching this early.

You can read more about it here:

Then there is the possibility that your dog is eating out of boredom. If your dog does not have stimulating play toys, then he might beg out of boredome or for attention.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Jane Lefler's Post: Why do you think your dog is hungry all the time? Because he is spoiled or bc he passes protein in his urine.

What food are you feeding? science diet from the vet, soft chix and rice stuff. at 3 am i give him some hard food.

twice a day plus 3am snack and treats, 1/2 cup

5 lbs

Is your dog showing an increase in appetite, thirst or urination? no increase in thirt or urination but the vet said that he passes protein in his urine and his makes him drink more and void more. no icrease in appetite - he is always wants to eat and has awakened me from day 1 for food at 5 am.

Thanks for the additional information. Your question indicated that he was always hungry leading me to believe he had an increase in appetite which now you indicate isn't the case. What he actually has is protein in the urine from your posts. Some protein may be present in concentrated urine, but in diluted urine would possibly indicate kidney disease.

We recommend feeding small dogs such as yours 4 equal size meals with one an hour or so before bedtime (to give time for a walk to eliminate) and one first thing in the morning. This helps the dog maintain their glucose levels and avoid hypoglycemia. This also keeps some food in their stomach and avoids an upset stomach due to excess bile in the stomach. You just break down the amount you are feeding daily into 4 equal portions instead of 2.

Here is a site that discusses urinalyses.

Here are some sites that discuss protein in urine.

If bloodwork hasn't been done, I strongly suggest that be done as well. It will be up to your vet to run diagnostic tests, but hopefully, the links I have provided will allow you to do some analysis of the results yourself and discuss the various issues with your vet knowledgably.

Hope this helps.