Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

My dog ate a blanket about 1 week ago. He has been eating ...

Customer Question

My dog ate a blanket about 1 week ago. He has been eating and drinking, but the last day he hasn''t eaten anything but he is drinking. He is starting to walk a little weird and is limping, we have a vet appointment at 1pm tomorrow, but i am getting scared. He is a beautiful 100lb chocolate lab and i am afraid of impaction, can it wait till tomorroe, or should i bring him in to an emergency clinic now
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 years ago.

Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your Chocolate Lab. This is definitely a rather worrying situation and one you need to monitor very carefully. At the very least, YES you do need to get your dog to your local Veterinary clinic as soon as possible in the morning. This sort of case is always of concern to be since so often I see dogs such as yours in my clinic who have accidentally (or otherwise) ingested toys, bones and other objects and more often than not, these need to be removed via surgery. Good on you for your work so far in monitoring his bowel movements, appetite and drinking and please continue to have someone monitor himthroughout the night (although I"m sure this is easier said than done as you are probably all hanging out for a sleep right now!). If you are really concerned or taking him to your emergency clinic now will set your mind at ease, then I would definitely recommend getting this done now.

Whatever the case you will definitely need to visit your Vet in the morning - unless he seems absolutely symptomless. Please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appeal white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If he has ongoing vomition throughout the night, seems painful or you are just overly worried about his state of health - get some peace of mind by getting him to your local emergency Vet clinic. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

There are a few things that could be going on here from a partial chronic obstruction, a full complete obstruction or even something like an intersucception where the bowel telescopes in on itself. It is also possible that your dog just has gastroenteritis and managed to pass the blanket in it's entirety. This is much more unlikely though. Your Vet will want to give your boy fluids, and take several radiographs (plain and contrast ones to help highlight a foreign body). If it seems as though there is something stuck in his gut, the next step will be an exploratory laparotomy (opening up his abdomen) to be able to get the foreign material out.

Best of luck with your boy and please let me know how you get on. Again - keep a close eye on him and take him off to the emergency Vet if you are worried tonight otherwise straight to your regular Vet in the morning. In the mean time give him a pat and a cuddle from me.

Thank you and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am a Rn so it is easy for me to be observant but thank you. He did vomit up a lot of the blanket about 5 days a go. He is not panting at rest His gums are pink, good capillary refill. He is drinking.. do you think he will be ok till am? Bailey(dog) has an appointment at 1:15pm, i am going to call first thing in AM. Do you feel he will be ok until then?
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 years ago.

Hi againCustomer

Thanks for your reply - great to hear you are a RN!! That's great! So long as you are comfortable monitoring him tonight - his vitals sound just fine. Let him drink ad-lib but no food in case he needs an anaesthetic in the morning. Definitely go for as early an appointment as possible. I am sure he will be fine over night, but again if his vitals change or he looks to be in pain, get him to the emergency Vets.

Good luck and please keep me updated. I hope this has been of help to you.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much! you have put my mind at ease till morning. The vet opens up at 6am so 2 hrs i think will be ok. Again I appreciate your time for myself and Bailey!
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 years ago.

No problems and best of luck getting Bailey sorted.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards