Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog has little pus-filled pimple like bumps all over her ...

My dog has little pus-filled pimple like bumps all over her back About 2 months ago I was told it was staph infection and was given clavamox.. which helped temporarlily. How do they get it and how serious it this stuff? And how can we get rid of it for good?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
Hi Myallie,

Staph dermatitis is frequently seen with allergies. A lot of dogs have an allergic reaction to corn and wheat and other ingredients in dog foods, so you may want to switch dog foods and use the elimination method described on the following website.

It may take 6 weeks or more to see improvement after the change of food. You may also give your dog Benadryl up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours if she is older than 12 weeks. Start with 1mg per pound as you do want to use the lowest dosage that helps with the symptoms.

Staph usually occurs on the lower regions of your pet and tends to have small pimple type bumps. Shampoo containing Chlorhexiderm and/or Oatmeal can help with this condition though it does not cure the allergy.   When shampooing, lather and leave on 15 minutes before rinsing. These shampoos are not meant to be a cure, just a relief until your pet can see a Vet.

Your vet will likely prescribe antibiotics again. Since this dog is young and already has exhibited several bouts of dermatitis, you may want to consult a dermatologist and have testing done to determine the allergen so you can either avoid it or have desensitizing shots given.

I hope this information is helpful to you.