Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

my dogs leg is swelling i not sure whats wrong , she ...

my dogs leg is swelling i not sure whats wrong , she has been outside she has 2 cuts or i should say very small marks one on each side of the leg , he was outside , my other dog could have nipped him when playing too rough , they were both neutered a week ago ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer
When did your dog's leg start swelling?
Where on the leg (and which leg is it) is the swelling located?
How far apart (in in. or cm.) are the tow small marks?
Are the marks oozing anything?
Can your dog walk?
How many doses of aspirin have you given, and how much?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr. K's Post: it started yesterday by the lower joint near the paw he was hopping , but later on he was walking on it , he walks on it now but after every once in while he limps. but now it seems like its his swelled up to his joint on the front leg , i gave him one alieve yesterday and one today about an hour ago ones on each side , i wasnt sure if thats where maybe they had a needle when they did the surgery or not , he can walk nothing oozing its was like dry blood and i wipe them clean
Expert:  Dr. K replied 6 years ago.
In your first post you said you gave the dog aspirin...did you give Alleve or Aspirin (or both)?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it was alieve only not aspirin
Expert:  Dr. K replied 6 years ago.
DO NOT give your dog anymore Allieve. This can be very dangerous. Dogs do not metabolize this type of drug the same way that we do, and this can cause severe gastric ulceration.
If your dog's leg has been getting progressively more swollen, then you should bring him in to the vet as soon as possible. There are many things that can cause a sudden onset of limping and swelling like this. The most common of which is a simple sprain. He may have injured while playing, or taking a bad step when jumping off of a bed or couch, and now it is inflammed. Since you do see two small marks, this could be due to a snake or small animal bite, or due to a bite from your other dog. In this case, infection is a strong possibility, so your dog may need to be on antibiotics. If it was a snake bite, antivenin may be necessary to stop progression of the problem.
I recommend that you take him into the veterinarian to be evaluated as soon as possible. The vet can examine him to make sure that nothing is broken and will look for any obvious signs of a puncture wound (that could be causing infection), or of an infectious disease that causes fever and swelling of the joints (like Lyme disease, or Ehrlichiosis). If all looks okay, then the vet will prescribe an appropriate nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory for your dog like Rimadyl or Derramax. This is usually administered for about 5 days. It is important for you to tell the vet that you gave the Alieve, as this may interfere with the type of drug that the vet can prescribe. If the swelling and limping subsides, then it was most likely either infection or inflammation from a strain. If not, then the dog returns to the vet for X-rays of the affected joint to look for signs of arthritis, fracture, or bone cancer.
I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K

Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years experience as Veterinarian
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr. K's Post: thank you for your answer and i wont give hom no more alieve , and i will take him to vet right away thanks again
Expert:  Dr. K replied 6 years ago.
You are very welcome. I wish you good luck!

Please remember to click on the green "accept" to show that you were pleased with your service.

Dr. K