Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

I have a small dog 1 year old she still has her baby teeth ...

I have a small dog 1 year old she still has her baby teeth and the ones in the back are loose and she always have very bad breath, What do I need to do for her to loose her baby teeth.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 years ago.
Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your 1 year old dog and her teeth! Her temporary teeth should definitely have fallen out by now and this is most definitely the cause of her bad breath! All temporary teeth are usually out by the time a dog hits 6 - 7 months. If she still has some temporary (baby) teeth present, these definitely need to be removed by your Veterinarian. I quite commonly see this problem at my clinic and with well behaved young dogs I can usually just reach in and gently pull the loose baby teeth out. However with dogs who are either wriggly or who's teeth are still relatively well attached, I sedate them and do it under anaesthesia as well as giving the permanent teeth a good clean while I'm at it. A trip to your local Veterinarian when they are next open will confirm whether these are in fact baby teeth and how these should best be removed. Please visit your Vet when you next can. I hope this is of help to you and please let me know how you get on.

Thank you and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards