Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 years ago.
Hi Monicavaldez,

The jelly like substance is mucous and normally helps lubricate the intestines. It indicates inflammation in the intestines.

If the pork chops had bones, you will need to keep an eye on your dog’s stools to see if the bone passes through your dogs system as well as for signs of fresh blood or mucus.

Fresh blood or mucus indicates inflammation within the large intestine while dark black or tarry looking stools indicate bleeding in the stomach or small intestines. If your dog’s stools become black then your dog should see a Vet immediately. If your dog begins to vomit, has a lot of diarrhea, becomes unresponsive to you or squats without having a bowel movement then you should take her to the vet immediately as well. As long as your dog is acting normally just monitor your dog closely to be sure the bone passes through your dog's system.

In addition, bones can splinter and puncture the gastrointestinal tract causing peritonitis.

Food with a high fat content can cause pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas. The pancreas is a gland that produces and releases enzymes into the digestive track that aid in the digestion of food. When these same enzymes are activated while they are still in the pancreas, inflammation occurs and the enzyme start "digesting" the pancreas itself.

Some common causes of pancreatitis are eating a lot of very fatty foods, obesity, steroid use and other diseases and conditions.

Symptoms of pancreatitis vary but include vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, weakness or collapse, dehydration, shock, fever, depression, and upper abdominal pain. A dog may indicate abdominal pain by acting restless, panting, crying or wincing when picked up, shaking, standing with an arched back, or lying with the front end down and the rear end elevated

You can read about it in detail here:

Put a drop of pancake syrup on your dog's tongue to keep your dog's glucose level up and replace water with pedialyte or if you don't have any add a pinch of sugar and salt to the water. You need to withhold all food for 6-12 hours to give your dog’s intestines a break. After that offer small portions of bland food such as boiled chicken and rice to see how the dog’s system does with that. If your dog does fine, you can slowly reintroduce your dog’s regular food into the chicken and rice mixture until it is all regular food.

The following symptoms should trigger an automatic trip to the vet:
If your dog has acute vomiting and diarrhea lasting over 24 hours.
If your dog becomes dehydrated. You can tell by pulling up the skin between your dog's shoulder blades and seeing if it flows back down normally. If it stays tented or is slow to return to normal, your dog is dehydrated and needs fluids immediately and should see a vet as soon as possible.
If your dog's gums and tongue become pale and not their normal pink color.
If your dog's rectal temperature is over 103F (101-102.5F is normal)
If your dog becomes lethargic and non-responsive.
If your dog has trouble breathing.

I hope this helps.