ask_me, Obedience, breeding, showing
Experience:  Well versed in all things canine! Knowledgeable in breeding, training and showing

My Beagle Mix dog has pain in the hind quarter and tail is ...

My Beagle Mix dog has pain in the hind quarter and tail is down. The vet took an x-ray and there is nothing wrong skeletal. He said he has either a pinched nerve or muscle pull. The cortizone shot and steroid, anti-inflammatory, Tranquilizer have made him very lethargic and still in pain. Also uncontrolable urination and cannot lift his leg to urinate. Appetite is good but walks with tail deep down in between his back legs Need help. Will be taking him to specialist if he does not improve . Do you have any answers?????
Category: Dog
Expert:  ask_me replied 8 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear that your Beagle mix is going though this. Nerve/disc issues often cause symptoms as you are describing. The typical treatment is anti-inflammatory drugs and injections of cortisone. Beyond that, surgical intervention may be needed. That said, if your vet has not done blood work yet, consider having a panel run. Several tick bourne ailments can cause similar issues. Further, breeds like Beagles can be prone to tail injuries (often calle "dead or cold tail") that may be the result of muscle seperation (these are frequently overlooked). Finally, if they haven't investigated it yet, anal gland problems such as infections can also cause pain in the hind quater and reluncatance to lift legs. Consider having him seen by the specialist, as the causes of problems like this can be numerous. I hope he's doing better soon. -Robyn

Please click "ACCEPT" or if you need more information "REPLY"