Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

My dogs snout, jowls and eyes are swollen. Ive

My dog's snout, jowls and eyes are swollen. I've given her Benadryl but an hour later the sweliing has not gone away. Advice?
Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your dog who currently has swollen eyes, snout and jowl. This definitely sounds like an allergic reaction to something and I commonly see dogs with such reactions in my clinic after they have been stung by a wasp or bee, or if they have been rummaging around in a bush that causes allergic reactions. I would definitely recommend a trip to your local Veterinarian (or emergency Vet if you are past the clinic's hours now) for a steroid and antihistimine injection. Benadryl is used to treat sneezing; runny nose; itching, watery eyes; hives; rashes; itching; and other symptoms of allergies and the common cold - although generally effective, is sometimes not enough to help a fully blown acute reaction like your dog has had - and this seems to be the case as swelling would have gone down by now. The antihistimine your Vet will give is a slightly higher concentration and injected under the skin so the effects are better and quicker. The steroid also acts to take down the inflammation pretty quickly also. The bonus of getting this down soon also means that your Vet can fully check over your Lab to make sure this is in fact an allergic reaction and not something else. I would encourage you to take her down to the Vet in the next half hour or so. Chances are the swelling will go away within the next 6 - 12 hours, but it can also potentially worsen to the point of causing anaphylactic shock and I don't think it is worth leaving your dog as is.

Best of luck with your dog and don't panic too much - it is just better for her to be treated now rather than to risk leaving her as is. I hope this has been of help to you and please let me know how you get on with your Vet.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards