Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

My 12 years old retriever has a milky vaginal discharge.

My 12 years old retriever has a milky vaginal discharge. The color of it is sometimes brownish or yellowish. could you please tell me what could be wrong with her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
How long has she had this discharge?
Is she spayed?
When was her last heat?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. K's Post: I dont really know how long. I just noticed it about two days ago. She never been sprayed before. I think she was in heat three weeks ago, but i not sure.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
How much discharge is she having? Is it constantly dripping all day...or does it only happen at certain times?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I think it only happen certain times, but i not sure. She like to lick herself.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
In an intact dog (unspayed) that has recently been in heat, a milky vaginal discharge can signify a condition called pyometra. This is an infection of the uterus and is quite serious (it can be fatal). I recommend that you take her in to see a veterinarian as soon as possible so that she can be started on antibiotics to help her fight off the infection. Treatment for this condition usually does involve surgical removal of the uterus.
I am attaching a client information sheet that I use in my practice that discusses this problem in more detail.

Click Here

I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Dr K,
I spoken with you last week concerning my 12 yrs old retriever that had a mikly vaginal discharge. You told me it was pyometra and i took her to the vet last friday and you were right.He did some bloodwork and tested her for heartworms as well. The bloodwork came back fairly ok he said and her liver and kidneys are working ok. The heartworm test came back negative as well. He gave me baytril 68mg for the infection, and told my mom and me to have the surgery asap. I gave my dog the meds and it looks like the infection is clearing up,because i dont see a discharge. Im scared because i dont know if the meds are working or her cervix is close. My question to you is will the meds that he gave me will clear up the pyometra and buy me some time to get the money for the surgery? If so, how much time? Also, My vet told me that the surgery will cost $ 750.00. Is that the going price for a proceduce like this? Thank you so much for taking the time to attend to my questions. Hope to hear from you soon.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
Hi mieey,
In a dog that has an open pyometra (which is what your dog had initially), the antibiotics may be enough to clear it up...but usually they are not. Most dogs do relapse once the antibiotics are stopped. The only way to know if the cervix has closed and she now has a closed pyometra is for her to have an X-ray to see if her uterus is full of pus. The best course of action in any case of pyometra (whether open or closed) is to be spayed as soon as possible.
Although a traditional spay will cost less...a dogs with a pyometra will be a more expensive procedure, and $750 sounds like a reasonable price. The reason that it is more than a traditional puppy that it takes much longer to do in an older dog (especially one with pyometra), and the dog requires more careful anesthesia and monitoring.
If financing is a concern for you, there are many organizations that exist to help with this. I am listing some of them here for you to contact and see how thye might assist you.

American Animal Hospital Association _ _" Through the AAHA Helping Pets Fund, veterinary care is possible for sick or injured pets even if they have been abandoned or if their owner is experiencing financial hardship."

__Angels 4 Animals _ _"Our services range from financial aid to complete treatment _to those pets and pet owners in need."

__Care Credit _ _A credit card company for health care, including veterinary care. _"With a comprehensive range of plan options, for treatment or procedure fees from $1 to over $25,000, we offer a plan and a low monthly payment to fit comfortably into almost every budget."

__God's Creatures Ministry _ "This fund helps pay for veterinarian bills for those who need help."

__Help-A-Pet _ "Our efforts focus on serving the elderly, the disabled, and the working poor."

__IMOM _ "We are dedicated to insure that no companion animal has to be euthanized simply because their caretaker is financially challenged."

__The Pet Fund _ "The Pet Fund is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit association that provides financial assistance to owners of domestic animals who need urgent veterinary care."

I hope that this helps you out.

Dr. K