Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

how much cod liver oil do i give my dog

No Comment Added
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 8 years ago.
Hi there Mary C,

Thank you for your question regarding giving Cod Liver oil. You can definitely use this as a supplement and I have several clients giving 1 x 1000mg capsule every 2 - 3 days. You may be better off using something like glucosamine and chondroitin and/or greenlipped mussel extract if you want to give it for sore joints. If you are giving it for skin condition you could also use 100% extra virgin olive oil or Wild alaskan salmon oil (you can get this from - Other oils, like Cod Liver Oil aren't as absorbed as effectively by the canine digestive system - in fact they are mostly just added on as extra fat deposits on your dog! Salmon oil not only helps skin but has natural immune system boosters & in this day and age every dog deserves a boost to the immune system.

Please reply if you have any further questions about he use of this or any other nutriceutical in your dog. I hope this has been of help to you.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards