Donna P.
Donna P., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Veterinary Technician with 15 years experience. Boston Terrier Breeder

What to do about a ruptured anal gland on my dog.

Customer Question

What to do about a ruptured anal gland on my dog. I''ve been to the vet, got antibiotics, Baytril at $300.00 for the pills, it didn''t work, the gland is protruding out and becomes covered with fecal matter...I clean him off, but where will the vet bill end...!I'm wondering if I can give another round of Baytril, what would the risk be to do that? is there some other topical med. I could be using? Does this ever go away on it's own? Does it require surgery?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Donna P. replied 5 years ago.

I know from first hand experience how difficult a ruptured anal gland can be to deal with. It is messy and continuous for awhile. Some dogs that continue to have recurrences can have the anal sacs removed surgically.

What I have been told to advice for years and have done with my own dog is this:

*Warm compresses numerous times a day - just a warm wet wash cloth held on the area for 10 minutes or so several times a day. This helps to improve blood flow to the area, aids in cleanliness, and keeps the area from scabbing over. You need it to stay open and drain and heal from the inside out. You do not want it to heal over - sealing all of the bacteria and goop inside only to burst open again.

*Topical antibiotic oinment can be placed directly on the wound. Watch the dog for several minutes after application so they do not lick it off. Do not place this medicine deep into a wound - only on the surface.

*If you are out of antibiotics you might need to call for a refill. Also be sure to ok any course of treatment through your veterinarian. The oral antibiotics will also help to clear the infection and heal the area from the inside out.

It has been my experience that it will be healed enough to not drain within 5 days or so. Then once you know your dog is prone to anal gland infections, practice preventative care. Have the anal glands expressed regularly to prevent buildup. Most groomers and vets can do this quickly and with little prior notice. Or even better, have your vet show you how to do it. It is a very simple procedure. Some dogs need to have them expressed monthly - some every couple of weeks. A word of caution - don't overdo the expressing - you can cause more irritation. Also always keep an eye on your dog for any signs of swelling around the anus and start the compresses as soon as something is noticed.

I hope this hase been helpful and you're messy problem is cleared up in no time.

Alex P.

__________ If this was helpful, please click ACCEPT_____________

Thank you!

Donna P., Veterinary Technician
Experience: Veterinary Technician with 15 years experience. Boston Terrier Breeder
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks so much, being Sunday it was a bit of a wait, I went off on other sites to search for a natural way. Still, although there were some good options, this was the best immediate answer to take care of the problem quickly, thanks again.