Walter
Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health
997364

how do I treat my yard with bleach to kill the parvovirus in it

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Dog
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

Use a 1:30 ratio of chlorine bleach and water to spray the whole yard as well as any area the dog was at. You can pick up a spray jug and attach it to your water hose to spray the full yard as well.

Parvo virus can live up to a year in your yard so it is recommended even after treatment to not get another puppy until the year is up unless the dog has been vaccinated. If you choose to get another pup make sure his vaccinations are up to date before allowing him into the yard.

Walter

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Walter's Post: what do you mean by the 1:30 ratio? are you talking about 1 gallon of bleach to 30 gallons of water or what?
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

That would be 4 oz. in 1 gallon of water.

Walter

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Walter's Post: how long should i do this treatment before i can let my dogs back into the backyard? they are really starting to tear up my house now because they can't get out and run around like they use to.
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

If the dogs are not vaccinated then you will either need to get them vaccinated first or wait a full year. Parvo is a serious illness and if these other dogs are not vaccinated there is a increased risk of them contracting it even with treatment. While the treatment will lower the chances there is no guarantee that the dogs will not contract it.

If the dogs are vaccinated then you may do the treatment and allow them out after a few days after the first rain fall or after a few days rinse the yard to disburse the bleach.

Walter

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Walter's Post: if we let the dogs out to go to the bathroom on the treated yard is there a chance they could still get the virus? we are talking about a 10 minute time period here. maybe even less.
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

Unfortunately yes..........the dogs can still get it within moments of being in the yard. Parvo is very very contagious. You could step in the yard in your shoes come back in the house and bring the virus in doors that easily.

For that reason you must treat the yard as well as vaccinate the dogs. I understand vaccinations can be costly, though most towns offer a free or reduced cost vaccination clinic so you will want to call around. You can also purchase the vaccines at most livestock stores. It is even sold online and the cost is much less then the vets office if this is your main issue.

Walter

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Walter's Post: if i purchased this from a livestock store what is the name if it and where would i find it online?
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.

There are different types but the 5 in 1 or the 6 in 1 is recommend. You can speak with a clerk at the livestock store and they can direct you to what is needed. There are different brands so it really depends on which one you wish to pick. As long as it has the parvo included this will work. Keep in mind the dogs will need to be re vaccinated within a few weeks as well so you may want to order the rest of the vaccines while you are at it.

You can purchase them online here: Please click here

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you soo much for your help today
Expert:  Walter replied 8 years ago.
Your welcome and I wish you the best!