Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

can dogs get chronic wasting disease by eating dead deer ...

can dogs get chronic wasting disease by eating dead deer who have it, and what are the symptoms??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

The answer here is yes they can get a chronic wasting disease if they are getting access to a whole deer carcase including the hide. The disease I am thinking about is Lymes Disease and it is spread by the deer tick.

The symptoms of Lymes Disease can be quite variable but would include a high fever, swollen lymph nodes, lameness, and a loss of appetite. It can affect the heart, kidneys, and joints and in some cases cause neurological symptoms.

Here is a link to a good web site where you can research this disease in detail :

What I suspect you are referring to though is the specific Chronic Wasting Disease of Deer which is caused by a prion particle. There is no evidence that this has ever spread to the dog but there is ongoing research to further explore the possibility of transmission of Chronic Wasting Disease of Deer to other species.

If it did ever spread to the dog the symptoms would most likely be neurological as the brain tissue degenerates, the likes of lethargy, incoordination, weight loss.

Here is a link to a web site on the subject :

If I can advise you further do not hesitate to get back in touch.

Scott Nimmo BVMS