Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

how do i get rid of fleas on 2 1/2 week old puppies and mother

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Submitted: 8 years ago via ThePetCenter.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 8 years ago.

On the mother, you can use an over-the-counter flea dip or collar, just be sure not to let her in with the pups until the dip is dry, and then be sure to clean off her nipples so that the pups aren't injesting the medication. You'll also need to keep an eye on the pups to make sure that the fleas aren't eating them alive. With young pups, it doesn't take long for them to become anemic due to the blood loss from the fleas.

As for the family as a whole, you can always try using diatomaceous earth, which is a natural, non-toxic way to repel fleas. You can find it in some places by its other name, which is Fossil Shell Flower. A website selling it is: http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceous-Earth.html

Another idea is to remove the mom and pups from the house and bug bomb it to kill the fleas. Keep in mind, however, that before you can bring the dogs back into the house, any bedding, furniture, carpeting, ect that they will come in contact with will need to be washed thoroughly in hot water to remove any remnants of the bomb.

Good luck, and I hope it all works out.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to CVT_in_MN's Post: OK Thank You!!!!! I was really starting to worry about them. I will bathe her and bome the house. can i put anything on them, or should I just try to pick them off. A flea collar will be ok for her even though the pups will be right with her?
Expert:  Lisa replied 8 years ago.
I would just pick the fleas off of the pups, and yes, the collar should be fine on the mom. Good luck!