NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

milk is coming out my week old puppies nose and has a hard ...

milk is coming out my week old puppies nose and has a hard time breathing, he is also the runt?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
It is possible this pup has a cleft in the palate connecting his mouth to his nose area and the difficulty in breathing is that he has breathed in some milk causing aspiration pneumonia.
If you are hand feeding this could also be from over feeding resulting in reflux and milk up the nose and inhaled.
Your vet can look for a cleft to see if that is the issue.
You can tube feed a cleft palate pup and then do surgical repair if you want to when the pup is big enough. Many breeders euthanize the puppies that have this problem as often they have other midline closure defects too.
You can read about cleft palates in pups here
Hope this helps you!