Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

excessive licking of anus

No Comment Added
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 years ago.

Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question about your dog who is excessively licking it's anus. There are number of problems that are going on here and you should get your dog to your local Veterinarian to rule in or rule out an array of different problems. The most likely problems here are either worms, full anal glands or a flea allergy, or potentially anything from a dermal tumor to canine atopy. A trip to your local Veterinarian will ensure the right problem is diagnosed, but you will need to make sure you dog is up to date with worming (and you should use a good Veterinary allwormer like Drontal), your Vet should check and express your dogs anal glands and check all around the anus and perineum for other problems such as rashes and lumps/bumps. Be sure to keep on top of flea treatments too since most fleas reside around the base of the tail.

Best of luck following this problem up with your Vet and please let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr XXXXX XXXXX's Post: He is a larger dog and typically doesn't need to have the glad expressed. The last trip to the vet for this issue resulted in manually expressing the gland and diagnosing the problem as an possbile allergy. The dog is already on meds for fleas/ticks and heatrworm prevention.

Any other ideas or comments?
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 6 years ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your reply and thanks you for the updated history. Yes, an allergy is more than likely if your Vet has ruled out everything else. There are basically 4 main allergies dogs get - Flea allergies, contact allergies, food allergies or atopy (the canine version of ezcema). You are effectively ruling out flea allergies by regularly treating your dog. The next step is to rule out contact and food allergies. If you rule these two out you are left with teh final option which is atopy which is treated by ongoing steroid medication. To rule out contact allergies, avoid walking your dog in areas near long grasses for the next few weeks and try and walk her only around the pavement. Your Vet may also be able to refer you to a canine dermatologist who can run some intradermal tests to rule in or rule out contact allergy. You should also talk to your Vet about undertaking a food trial. This involves putting your dog on a bland novel protein diet only, for 3 weeks total. If your dog does have a food allergy you will notice a significant difference after this time. If both of these are ruled out the Vet will most likely diagnose your dog with canine atopy which is treated with ongoing daily steroids. Please mention these possibilities to your Vet so you can carry on with further tests to rule in or rule out these problems.

Please keep me updated and let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian