Mia Carter
Mia Carter, Animal Expert
Experience:  Specializing in the training and care of ill pets and special needs animals! Mom of 22 pets!

My four year old chihuahua has black spots on its ...

My four year old chihuahua has black spots on its belly. There were not there earlier. Is this a problem?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Mia Carter replied 8 years ago.
Hello there!

I have a couple of questions for you concerning your dog:

When you say these black spots were not there earlier, do you mean that they arose within a matter of hours? Days? A week or more?

What do these spots look like? Size? Are they raised?

Do the spots seem to bother him? Do they seem itchy or painful?

Thanks in advance for the additional information!

-Mia Carter
Pet Expert
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Mia Carter's Post: Hello,

I looked at my dog again. The black spots are brown spots. They are not raised. They look a lot like "liver spots" on humans. They are about one fourth in diameter. They do not seem to bother my dog. I think I am bothered by how they got there. It has been a period of several months for these to appear. Thank you for help so far.
Hello there!

Thank you for the additional information!

I think it's very possible that these are just changes in your dog's skin pigmentation. It can occur from time to time and if this is the case, there's nothing to worry about. That would be consistent with what you describe - changes in pigmentation aren't painful or itchy, and they are flush with the skin, there is no scaling or dryness on the spots, and they arise over a period of months for no apparent reason. They are likely located throughout your dog's body - you just are more apt to notice them on the stomach and chest of some dogs because the fur is thinner there. You can also see them well in the mouth and on the tongue on dogs.

Another possibility is that they are a form of scarring. If she itched and had a small area of irritation, it can heal as a darker area that eventually fades with time. Often, when this is the case, the dog is suffering from another problem, like parasites or dry, sensitive skin. With thyroid problems, for instance, you can see changes in skin pigmentation, but it's usually associated with dry, scaly patches of skin on the same area, combined with other symptoms like weight gain and hair loss. If you see no other signs of a problem, it's likely not too much to be concerned about.

What I would do is start photographing the spots. Maybe once a week, take a good, close up photo and you can monitor if they're changing, if new ones are arising, etc.

If you're very worried - and I know how it can be sometimes - you may want to go for a vet visit, even if it's just to get peace of mind. That way, they can rule out any problems.

I hope that helps calm your mind a bit! Just let me know if you have any additional questions!

****Please "ACCEPT" if my answer was helpful!****

-Mia Carter
Pet Expert

**As experts, we are not compensated for our time and efforts unless you "accept!"**