LouA, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ yrs experience in vet medicine, special interest in Sighthounds, successful Agility competitor

my dogs temp is 100.6 is she gonna go in to labor soon

Customer Question

my dog is two weeks form her delivery date and she is haveing diarha and her temp is 100.6 should i not leave her side is she gonna be having puppy''s soon!
Category: Dog
Expert:  LouA replied 8 years ago.
How exciting that you are going to have puppies!! The temperature drop usually occurs around 24 hours prior to the birth of the puppies. At that time, the temperature usually drops down to less than 98 degrees. I would not be concerned about a temperature of 100.6 at two weeks prior to delivery. Sometimes, pregnant dogs will have loose stool prior to delivery ... it rarely lasts very long. I would add a little boiled white rice to her food ... the white rice will help bind her up a bit. If the loose stool continues for more than 24 - 48 hours, I would recommend that you have her examined by your veterinarian to ensure that the pregnancy is preceding normally. Good luck with the new babies!!