RobtheVet
RobtheVet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for 12 years. Small animal, emergency and shelter medicine.
10439196

my dog has an open sore just to the side of his anus under ...

my dog has an open sore just to the side of his anus under his tail. the sore is approximately 10mm in diameter and is quite red and raw looking. There appears to be no discharge
Category: Dog
Expert:  RobtheVet replied 9 years ago.

I just had a couple questions.

Is the wound on the right or left of the anus?

Is it above or below the anus?

Is it flat like a scrape or is there an actual hole?

These answers will help me to advise you properly?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to RobtheVet's Post: 1) on right of anus
2) just below
3) the sore is like a scrape with a slight swelling
Expert:  RobtheVet replied 9 years ago.
Given that location and the swelling I would be worried about an anal gland infection and abscess. Anal glands are scent glands on either side of the anus they can get infected, fill with purulent debris and rupture. For the time being I would apply a warm compress (warm wash cloth) to the area for 5 minutes in the morning and evening. I would then take him to your veterinarian tomorrow. If the gland hasn't ruptured he may nedd a drain placed in there surgically to allow the material to drain out. He absolutely needs antibiotics or this will get nasty. It is possible from your description that this could be some strange abrasion but I think it is more likely the abscess. Either way the best thing to do is get it looked at before it gets too bad. I hope this was able to help. Here is a likk with an explanation of anal gland abscesses.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/wai/analsacs.html

I hope this was able to help. Let me know if anything was unclear. -Rob