Dr. Angela
Dr. Angela, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Degree, University of Illinois

Is kd Dog Food the only alternative for kidney health

I have a chocolate lab, 13.5 yrs old. She had a geriatric profile done recently which indicated slightly diminished kidney function-vet recommended kd. She hates it; when she does eat it, she frequently throws up. I''ve gone back to Nutro Senior small bites and canned food (also Nutro senior) and the vomiting has stopped. It has a similar protein content to kd, will it be alright to just continue her on that?
The prescription kidney diets are only meant to be used in dogs that tolerate them well and like them. Your dog is not tolerating the K/D very well (vomiting) and she doesn't like it. There are other prescription kidney diets (Purina N/F) which have a lower amount of protein than over the counter diets, plus they are fortified with extra potassium which is very helpful to dogs with renal compromise. You could talk to your vet about trying N/F. But if your dog doesn't tolerate or like the NF either, then you have no choice but to feed a diet she likes and tolerates (such as Nutro Senior). Please let me know if you have more questions about this. Best wishes.