Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.

do i pay stud fee before they lock what is going rate for ...

Customer Question

do i pay stud fee before they lock? what is going rate for a stud fee for akitas? how many times should they be allowed to lock for one stud fee?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 8 years ago.

Yes, normally you set up an arrangement for a stud before hand and sign a contract and pay the fee. Now, please please make sure you have a stud contract. This protects you and the stud owner both. You can see a copy of one here:

Stud contract for Dog breeders

The going rate for any type of stud is the price of pick of the litter or pick of the it really depends on the rate the dogs are worth in your area and the bloodline. If you have a championed stud, that is health tested, then he should be worth more, in my opinion.

As far as the tie. They should be together for about a week..they should tie once per day until she no longer accepts him. Females are most fertile between days 9-14..give or take a day in either direction. :) They should always be supervised and never left alone to breed.

Please let me know if you have further questions regarding this or remember to click accept if you found my answer helpful :)