Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My shih-tzu was scooting on his bottom, so we ...

My shih-tzu was scooting on his bottom, so we suspected full anal glands. Took him to vet who also did a feces check, which was negative. Had to take him back next day because he was wild with itching on his bottom. They gave him Metronidazole, Rimadyl (which did no good) and then Tramadol. Because he is still itching, I have been putting Neomiacyn at the opening of his butt. I don''t know what else to do. He is on Program for fleas monthly throughout the year. If it is an allergy, what would you suggest...Benedryl? you have other suggestions? Thanks!
Thanks for the question.

Anal gland problems are common in the dog, and one of the main signs of it as you say is the dog scooting along on the carpet. This scooting can sometimes set up an eczema because he has been dragging his butt along rough surfaces. When the vet empties the anal glands thats fine, an easy thing to do but the eczema is still there. Have a look at your dog's anal area and you may find it looking quite red. Of course as the eczema is still there he still feels itchy and may continue to scoot.

One of the best things here would be a cream containing 0.5 % or 1% hydrocortisone, these are on open sale in pharmacies in many parts of the world. The hydrocortisone is an anti-inflammatory drug and it will quickly reduce the itching and inflammation. Apply it to your dog's anal area three times a day for five days.This product if it does not do any good will not do any harm.

Please get back in touch with me if I can help further.

Scott Nimmo BVMS

The cost is $15.00, thats fine, thanks. I can talk about the same question and talk more about it at no further charge.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I applied the hydrocortisone gel and it seems to have worked very well. Thank you. XXXXX had asked our vet if I could apply hydrocortisone and she said she didn't think so
:-(. I'm still giving him the other meds also until I run out. But I think it was your recommendation that did the trick. I'll come to you first next time. And I just took a chance on inputting the address in the computer. Good work, huh!
Koby's Mom
I am glad things are getting better.

A short five day course of the gel won't do any harm.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Scott Nimmo BVMS's Post: Scott...what should I do if he still appears to have an allergy. He scoots, yes, but he also scratches quite a bit where he never did before. Is there some medication I can give him until I find out what in the world he is allergic to?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I've not heard back from Scott Nimmo from my 6/25 inquiry. Can you help?